What is the Difference Between a Land Rover and a Range Rover?
If you’ve been shopping for off-road-ready luxury SUVs, chances are you’ve come across Land Rover models and Range Rover models–but are the terms “Land Rover” and “Range Rover” are interchangeable? No–but the Land Rover vs. Range Rover difference is simple:
- Land Rover is the brand of the vehicle, with seven different models in its lineup.
- A Range Rover is a specific Land Rover model, so it’s full name is the Land Rover Range Rover–just like the full name of the Mustang is the Ford Mustang.
- ‘Range Rover’ is also the label for a subcategory of Land Rover models, informally called the ‘Range Rover family’. This family consists of 4 unique models–the Range Rover, the Range Rover Sport, the Range Rover Velar, and the Range Rover Evoque.
In other words, each Range Rover model has their own unique designation, but they all belong to the Land Rover brand. Learn about each Range Rover model and the rest of the Land Rover vehicles below, then schedule a test drive at Land Rover San Antonio near Corpus Christi.
The Range Rover Family
Range Rover models don’t stop at the Land Rover Range Rover. The name carries through four models, including:
- Land Rover Range Rover – The original Range Rover model, this SUV started the advancement in power and off-roading abilities.
- Land Rover Range Rover Sport – The difference between this model and the classic Range Rover is that the Sport model focuses more on the performance on Corpus Christi roads and beyond.
- Land Rover Range Rover Velar– The Velar award-winning design led it to be described by Land Rover as its most avant-garde model, with a sleek and modern look.
- Land Rover Range Rover Evoque – The most compact member of the Range Rover family provides a luxurious design, advanced features, and off-road capabilities at a more affordable price.
Additional Land Rover Models
Though the Range Rover name is tacked on to four out of the seven models in the Land Rover lineup, there are three models are not under the Range Rover umbrella. These include two models in the Discovery family, and a new stand-alone model:
- Land Rover Discovery – The Discovery is built for strength and advanced safety whether taking the highway or the path less traveled.
- Land Rover Discovery Sport – The Sport model of the Discovery has many of the same features as the base model, but is better suited for adventure.
- Land Rover Defender – The iconic Defender has been resurrected for the 2020 model year, newly redesigned to be the most rugged Land Rover yet.
Explore Land Rover Vehicles Near Laredo
Find out more about our new Land Rover models and compare them against other popular models to see how a new Land Rover can benefit your commute. If you have questions in the meantime or want help doing more research, contact us at Land Rover San Antonio.
More Land Rover Features
The Land Rover Discovery, called the “Disco” by Land Rover fans, was first released in 1989, about four decades after the release of the first-ever Land Rover model in 1948. The Discovery was the first new model series from the company since the release of the Range Rover model in 1970, and it has been…
The maximum towing capacities of new Land Rover SUVs range from 3,968 pounds to 8,201 pounds. Explore towing specs on each Land Rover model, and find out more about features like Advanced Tow Assist to see how towing can be made easier around Austin. Then visit our genuine Land Rover parts center to find out…
The current lineup of Range Rover Velar trims is being upgraded with the all-new SVAutobiography Dynamic trim level, coming soon to Austin and Corpus Christi. It builds on the Range Rover Velar 2018 World Car Design of the Year award with upgraded power and all-new features. Explore this future Range Rover Velar trim at Land Rover San Antonio. Learn…