When Was Land Rover Founded?
The Land Rover name debuted in 1948, as the name of a model series under the Rover Company, several decades before Land Rover became its own SUV brand. Find out more about Land Rover history and origins below, and contact Land Rover San Antonio near Austin for all your Land Rover parts and accessories needs!
Land Rover as a Model Series
- 1885: The Rover Company began as a bicycle manufacturer in Warwickshire, England.
- 1947: The original Land Rover design, inspired by a Jeep axle and chassis, was created by engineer and Rover Company Chairman Maurice Wilks, while Wilks was with his brother Spencer on their farm in Wales.
- 1948: The Land Rover model was officially released at the Amsterdam Motor Show on April 30th.
- Post-World War II: Early Land Rover colors were limited to mostly army green hues because of a military surplus of auto paint after World War II.
Land Rover as a Company
- 1967: Rover Company is renamed Rover Triumph, after being purchased by Leyland Motors (later British Leyland Motors).
- 1970: The world’s first Range Rovermodel is introduced.
- 1976: The production of the one millionth Land Rover is celebrated.
- 1978: Land Rover Limited becomes its own company under British Leyland Motors, three decades after the first Land Rover model is created.
- 1987: The Range Rover is makes its way to the United States market.
- 1989: the Land Rover Discovery is introduced.
- 1994: The Rover Group is acquired by BMW.
- 2000: The Rover Group is broken up by BMW, with the Land Rover portion getting sold to Ford
- 2005: The Range Rover Sport is first released as a more compact and agile version of the Range Rover.
- 2007: The four millionth Land Rover is produced.
- 2008: India-base auto industry giant Tata Motors purchases Land Rover and Jaguar from Ford, and creates a new Jaguar Land Rover subsidiary.
- 2011: TheRange Rover Evoque is first released, the most compact of the Range Rover models.
- 2014: The Land Rover Discovery Sport comes onto the market in September.
- 2017: TheRange Rover Velarmakes its debut in London.
- 2018: Land Rover announces the project Cortex which aims to “create self-propelled car-robots that are able to independently navigate off-road in all weather conditions.”
- 2019: The Land Rover Defender is announced to make its return to the Land Rover lineup for 2020.
Explore the Land Rover Brand at Land Rover San Antonio
Learn about what Land Rover brings to Corpus Christi and Laredo drivers today, from confident towing and off-roading capabilities to advanced InControl® technology and more, then browse the Land Rover models for saleat your local authorized Land Rover retailer today!
Learn More at Land Rover San Antonio
The maximum towing capacities of new Land Rover SUVs range from 3,968 pounds to 8,201 pounds. Explore towing specs on each Land Rover model, and find out more about features like Advanced Tow Assist to see how towing can be made easier around Austin. Then visit our genuine Land Rover parts center to find out…
With the available Electronic Air Suspension and three engine options, the Range Rover Velar offers performance to exceed all expectations. Before arranging a test drive through Land Rover San Antonio near Austin, feel free to explore Range Rover performance specs, features, and fuel economy ratings today! Learn More View Inventory Engine Options and MPG Range…
The current lineup of Range Rover Velar trims is being upgraded with the all-new SVAutobiography Dynamic trim level, coming soon to Austin and Corpus Christi. It builds on the Range Rover Velar 2018 World Car Design of the Year award with upgraded power and all-new features. Explore this future Range Rover Velar trim at Land Rover San Antonio. Learn…